Wiener Philharmoniker, Christian Thielemann
Christian Thielemann, Principal Conductor of the Dresden Staatskapelle and Artistic Director of the Salzburg Easter Festival, has since 2000 been a musical partner of the Vienna Philharmonic. The New Year’s Concert 2019 represents Thielemann’s first time to conduct this prestigious international concert event. The New Year’s Concert live from Vienna is one of the world’s most famous and spectacular classical music events. It will be broadcast on TV and radio and reaches over 90 countries around the world with more than 50 million viewers.
The annual New Year’s Day Concert in Vienna has been a major event for more than eight decades, since 1939. Repertoire includes never or rarely heard before works as well as favorites such as two fix points: the Blue Danube Waltz and the Radetzky March.
Conducted by world-famous maestros such as Herbert von Karajan, Lorin Maazel, Claudio Abbado, Carlos Kleiber, Zubin Mehta, Riccardo Muti, Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Seiji Ozawa, Mariss Jansons, Franz Welser-Möst and Gustavo Dudamel.
The Vienna Philharmonic, as musical ambassadors of Austria, send people all over the world a New Year’s greeting in the spirit of hope, friendship and peace with the lively and light-hearted and at the same time nostalgic and profound music from the vast repertoire of the family of Johann Strauss and its contemporaries.
1. Ziehrer: Freiherr von Schonfeld, Marsch, Op. 422
2. Strauss, Josef: Transaktionen - Walze, Op. 184
3. Hellmesberger: Elfenreigen
4. Strauss, J, II: Express, Op. 311
5. Strauss, J, II: Nordseebilder Op. 390
6. Strauss, E: Mit Extrapost, Op. 259
7. Strauss, J, II: Der Zigeunerbaron Overture
8. Strauss, Josef: Die Tanzerin, Polka francaise, Op. 227
9. Strauss, J, II: Künstlerleben, Op. 316
10. Strauss, J, II: Die Bajadere, Op. 351
11. Strauss, E: Opern-Soiree (Opera Soirée). Polka française, Op. 162
12. Strauss, J, II: Eva-Walzer
13. Strauss, J, II: Ritter Pázmán: Csárdás
14. Strauss, J, II: Egyptischer Marsch, Op. 335
15. Hellmesberger: Entr’acte Valse
16. Strauss, J, II: Lob der Frauen Polka mazurka Op. 315
17. Strauss, Josef: Sphärenklänge, Op. 235
"Enthusiasts of Thielemann’s work will be impressed by the result – though there’s plenty here to please anyone who loves this music…the Ritter Pásmán csárdás has the verve and headlong momentum of a cavalry charge. It’s terrific. Elsewhere, it’s probably wisest not to get too hung up on any preconceived notions of Viennese style. Unsurprisingly, the Wagnerite Thielemann leans towards the dramatic in larger-scale waltzes."
Gramophone Magazine - February 2019